My absolute favorite dip of all time is crockpot rotel dip. It always reminds me of tailgating, friends, and fun. This dip is super easy to make and becomes an instant classic. I’ve been making this dip for years, and it pairs best with Tostitos tortilla chips, but any kind of chip, cracker, or veggie stick can be used! It’s also a great topper for tacos, burritos, potatoes, or pour it over your tortilla chips and eat as nachos.
Just 4 ingredients are needed for the best cheese dip for gameday:
- Hamburger meat (lean ground beef works best, but ground turkey can also be used)
- Taco seasoning (a packet of this really makes a difference)
- Rotel Tomatoes (diced canned tomatoes and do not drain)
- Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
You can also make this dip vegetarian by substituting the meat with black or pinto beans. Add jalapenos for an extra kick.
This recipe serves 12 people and takes about 15 minutes to cook. You will need:
- 1-pound lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 10 oz can of Rotel tomatoes
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese cubes
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add in the taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, and Velveeta cheese. Stir until melted. Pour into desired serving dish and serve. Best to keep warm in crockpot. If consistency gets too thick it can be thinned out by adding a tablespoon of milk until desired consistency is reached.
TIP: Use a portable hot food bag to keep queso warm. Make sure your dish is very hot when placing inside the carrier to trap as much heat as possible. The easiest way to keep food warm at a tailgate is to use an insulated food carrier. There are several different options available ranging from simple lunch bag-like carriers to elaborate designs with multiple compartments and zippered pockets. Southern Living suggests the MIER’S Double Casserole Carrier (fits 9 by 13-inch casserole dishes) that expands so you can transport hot and cold items at the same time.
Recipe by: Alyssa Rivers