Prep football gets more company on the gridiron in week two, as the collegiate games kick off on this Labor Day weekend as well.
But not to be outdone, there are some exciting high school games in the “Southern Six” on tap this week as well, and some interesting games to pick from.
Rock’s Locks jumped out to a quick start last week in the world of prep pigskin prognosticating, going a pretty sweet 10-3 overall including a perfect 7-0 in our “Prime Picks”.
“It’s like rolling a seven, every time I roll the dice…”
- Laurel at D’Iberville (Game of the Week) — A pair of teams coming off big opening week wins face-off in Harrison County, as the Golden Tornadoes come calling on the Warriors and new head coach Josh Ladner. If last week’s wins are any indication, this shapes up to be a battle between effective ground games as each team pounded their respective opponents in the rushing department in week one. We like Laurel in a close showdown…Laurel 22, D’Iberville 20.
- Pascagoula at Gautier — The 21st edition of the “Singing River Classic” (where has the time gone?) unfolds on the field on the campus of Gautier High Friday night as the Gators host the rival Panthers. Pascagoula has a 12-8 advantage overall in this annual affair, but Gautier has won the past two games. Gator quarterback Kaden Irving completed 27 of 52 passes for 229 yards in a 12-6 overtime loss to Jackson Provine last week, while the Panthers got a complete team effort in the “Battle of the Cats”. Pascagoula 21, Gautier 16.
- East Central at Moss Point — The Hornets head to Dantzler Street to face off with the Tigers in the second of our Jackson County showdowns on tap this week. East Central looks to build upon an opening week win in Sam Huff’s head coaching debut last week, while Moss Point is coming off a loss to Pascagoula. The Tigers did get a big outing defensively from senior linebacker Kaleb Ralston, who recorded 11 tackles, forced a fumble, had a fumble recovery and returned an interception for a touchdown. East Central 14, Moss Point 13.
- Ocean Springs at Hattiesburg — The Greyhounds head to Forrest County in search of their 12th straight regular season win. Even though the locale of this contest has long been referred to as the “Hub City”, it will be even more well known as that when OSHS senior Bray Hubbard gets done Friday night. Ocean Springs 34, Hattiesburg 13.
- Vancleave at Hancock — Our second battle of unbeaten teams on this young campaign takes place at Brett Favre Field in da Kiln, as the Bulldogs and super senior tailback John Peterson take on the homestanding Hawks. With a win, Vancleave will stand 2-0 on the season for the first time in four years. We see that happening…Vancleave 27, Hancock 21.
- Picayune at Jefferson Davis County — A pair of perennial state powers face off in this one, as the defending Class 5A state champion Maroon Tide takes on the three-time defending Class 3A state champion Jaguars. We like the bigger school on the road. Picayune 34, JDC 22.
- Greene County at George County — The “Battle of the Bell” takes place between the arch-rival Rebels and Wildcats at Gill-Martin Stadium Friday night in Lucedale, as both teams come in looking for their first wins on the season. We liked what we saw from George County in a close loss to Gulfport last week rather than what we didn’t see in a decisive loss by Greene County to Vancleave…George County 28, Greene County 14.
A six pack to go:
Resurrection 21, North Forrest 20
Stone 20, Biloxi 17
Poplarville 40, Pearl River Central 6
St. Stanislaus 33, Long Beach 3
St. Martin 16, Pace (Fla.,) 14
Sumrall 34, Bay High 14